Back during PaizoCon 2018, we first announced that Legendary Games would be producing a massive new adventure saga, the epic Ashes of Empires from Greg Vaughan and company! What is Ashes of Empires all about? LET’S FIND OUT!
Empires rise, and empires fall. Each rises from the ashes of the last, but no matter what heights they reach all come to ashes in the end.
- Set in The Lost Lands, this AP is the culmination of Greg Vaughan’s eight-year project assembling the Necromancer Games catalog and preparing a massive adventure saga to take advantage of that depth of lore.
- Spanning two continents and 10,000 years of history, Greg’s epic saga spans eons of ancient mysteries as PCs uncover the hidden past of empires and the horrors they conceal!
This truly epic adventure saga comprises six chapters:
- Book 1: The Book in the Old House – by Alistair J. Rigg – Help a young knight rid his ancestral manor of its haunts and discover the beginnings of a deeper mystery going much further back in time.
- Book 2: The Ebon Soul – by Jeff Swank – Heroes face an ancient vampire’s curse and must deal with the consequences and troubles of a forgotten empire’s underworld that proves to be very much alive and well.
- Book 3: When Comes the Moon – by Matt Goodall – The mountain outpost of a religious order from a bygone era starts to look like the setting for a werewolf hunt, memories of older times continue to have ramifications in the present day as the hunters become the hunted on the mountain peaks.
- Book 4: Legend of the Burning Star – by Steve Helt – Seek an ancient meteor crater holding riches in sky metals, but past expeditions seeking it came to naught…until a never-before-seen journal surfaces and puts the players on that path once again.
- Book 5: Race for Shataakh-Uulm – by Tom Knauss – Heroes traverse a haunted and desolate land to claim the meteorite’s riches before others jump their claim and discover the unspeakable fate of the original explorers.
- Book 6: Knight Fall in Old Curgantium – by Anthony Pryor – The quest comes full circle to the capital of the Hyperborean Empire, ruined in ancient holocaust yet whose menace threatens to arise once more and bring calamity to the empires that have arisen in its place as destiny turns to doom!
Greg and his team have been steadily working away in the background, but we now have three adventures completely written, edited, and developed, with the other three manuscripts slated to be finished by early January and ready to start layout this spring. We’ll be offering this adventure path for 5th Edition, the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, and for Pathfinder 2nd Edition, though the latter versions of the adventures will not be available until after PF2 releases at GenCon 2019.
This is a classic fantasy saga blending elements of cosmic horror and deep lore in a rich and evocative setting. We don’t have an exact page count just yet, but it’s definitely over 200,000 words and then some, and I can confidently say this compendium won’t be shy sitting on your shelf next to Slumbering Tsar and its ilk. We hope you’re as excited to see this project come to fruition as we are.
P.S. Some of you might ask whatever happened to Conquest: Rage of Wyrms, the AP we announced the year before? The announcement of Pathfinder 2nd Edition made us rethink some things around our scheduling for a big adventure project, and around the same time both Robert Brookes and Jason Nelson got very busy with other work, to the point that they couldn’t devote the attention to pushing this one through as originally planned. Coincidentally, it was not long after that Greg, one of the founding members of Legendary Games, stepped up with a perfect alternative! In business you have to be flexible with plans and resources to make everything come together, and we are excited to bring Ashes of Empires to your table.
At the same time, we are still passionate about the project, but we just have to find the time to bring the right resources to bear to make it happen. It won’t be in 2019, but hopefully we can get it rolling in time to release in 2020! The dragons are waiting!!!